This week I want to share a recipe for prawns cooked Parsi style.
This is an ancient recipe that has been passed down the generations by word of mouth.
In this particular recipe the prawns are fried in a masala which uses only five ingredients (besides salt and oil) and the end result is the most amazing prawn dish!!
So, let’s get started.
Parsi style prawns
1. 1 kg green prawns (with shell)
2. 2 1/2 tablespoons brown cumin seeds
3. 3 cloves of garlic, peeled
4. 1/2 cup brown vinegar or apple cider vinegar
5.1 teaspoon turmeric powder
6. 2 teaspoons chilli powder
7. 1 teaspoon salt
8. 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
clockwise from left to right: roasted cumin seeds, brown vinegar (or apple cider vinegar), garlic cloves, vegetable oil, turmeric, salt & chilli powder and prawns (centre)
1. Remove the shell from the prawns, devein and refrigerate.
shelled & deveined prawns
2. Roast the cumin seeds and let cool.
roasting cumin seeds
drizzle some masala on the prawns
a serving of parsi style prawns
And finally, a few facts to remember when cooking this dish:
1. Start cooking the masala in cold oil. Heat the oil after the masala has been added. Adding the masala to the cold oil helps cook it till the flavours from the ground spices comes out without burning it!
2. If brown vinegar is not available, use apple cider vinegar instead.
3. This dish can also be made with fish, especially a dried fish called boomla (that’s also frequently known as Bombay Duck) and it can then be used as a pickle!
4. You can use any leftover spice mix to cook with slices of eggplant, or grated carrots, as you wish.
Let me know how you get on with this superb dish!
Anah Daata Sukhi Bhava!!